Easy Travel Hacks for Your Next Long Haul Flight
If you’ve got a long flight coming up soon, you’ll want to prepare with a few of these travel hacks to make your trip a little easier. There are 5 things you’ll want to prepare for before any long haul flight: entertainment, comfort, sleep, food, and health. Take a look at these travel hacks to make each of these a little easier!
I actually love a good long flight, because it gives me a stretch of forced quiet time. The sleep might not be so great, but it’s nice to disconnect for a while! Keep yourself busy on a long flight by relaxing or engaging your brain:
- A good playlist
- Read a book
- Podcasts about your destination
- Language learning app
- Brain puzzles like sudoku or crossword
- Coloring books
- Card games
- Journal or write a letter
Sometimes air travel makes you feel just a little bit worn down. The long hours, cramped quarters, the stress of TSA… Treat yourself to a little bit of luxury. Even the simplest bit of self-care can go a long way on a difficult trip.
- Baby wipes: use these to freshen up after a night on the plane
- Eye gels: give yourself a little spa treatment while en route
- Slippers: change into more comfortable footwear as soon as you get to your seat
- Upgrade your seats: a seat upgrade is WELL worth it for a long haul flight
This is the hard part. It’s cramped, uncomfortable, and just all-around hard to sleep on a plane (unless you splurge for one of these amazing first-class experiences). So how do you find sleep at 30,000 feet?
- Foot hammock: you might look a little funny with this contraption, but your legs will thank you!
- Multi-purpose scarf: get a scarf that doubles as a blanket — planes can be chilly
- Wear comfortable clothes: wear something you can rest in easily and don’t forget to layer up
- Create a calming routine: drink some tea, shut down electronics an hour before sleeping, read a book — whatever helps you wind down
- Take a sleep aid: talk to your doctor about a sleep aid such as melatonin to help you get some shut-eye
Airport food, while convenient, is usually extremely overpriced. And it’s hard to find something healthy! In order to stay healthy on your trip, you’ll want to find some TSA-friendly foods that give you lasting nourishment. Opt for snacks that are free from refined sugars and minimally processed.
Here are some good ideas:
- Whole fruits: bananas, apples, and oranges are easy to pack
- Oatmeal cups: bring oat cups like Three Bears Oats for an easy bedtime snack or breakfast.
- Popcorn: for a yummy, whole-grain snack grab a few bags of popcorn such as Angie’s Boomchikapop
- DIY trail mix: toss together some walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and a few dark chocolate pieces for a protein-packed pick-me-up you can easily bring through TSA
You don’t want to start your dream trip out by feeling cruddy! Take a few preventative steps to stay healthy on the plane. Keep your immune system strong and your body energized with a little TLC.
- Essential oils: bring lavender to aid sleep and peppermint if you are prone to air sickness
- Compression socks: to help with swelling
- Drink lots of water: airplanes humidity levels are lower than the Sahara Desert!
- Vitamin C: take a vitamin C supplement to boost your immune system
- Special meal request: Do you have special dietary needs? Contact the airline ahead of time to let them know of any allergies or dietary preferences. Most airlines are very accommodating!
➡️ Read next: Wellness Travel – What You Need to Know